Tuesday, June 7, 2011

To rip or not to rip

I have had my Carolina Christmas Mystery Quilt (top) finished for a long time, but I couldn't bring myself to quilt it because I just didn't love it.  I loved the blocks until I put them together.  I don't think there was enough contrast and the blocks just kind of blurred together.  I started taking it apart because I was thinking I should put sashing between the blocks.  Then I thought maybe I will take it all apart and not like the sashing!  A lot of sewing and ripping  if it wasn't going to make a difference.
I put the part of the quilt still pieced on my design wall and took a picture.  I put the blocks on my design wall with some sashing to get an idea of how it might look.  I think I am doing the right thing.  I think I like it with the sashing better.

What do you think?

8 comments:

Janet O. said...

Your blocks look great! I am too chicken to try mystery quilts. I want to know what I am making before I start. Maybe that is the control freak in me and I need to let it go. I'd want to see how these blocks look with a darker green sashing (more contrast). Thank goodness for design walls.

Megan said...

I like the way the blocks sort of disapear on the non-sashed version. It really feels like an overall pattern and not individual blocks. But the sashing you've choosen works really well. And gives the blocks a sweet, timeless feeling.

Carla said...

Wow this looks amazing! All the pretty colors and I think it looks better without the sashing. So much texture!

Michelle said...

I vote No sashing. It looks great without it!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I love it with the sashing. Nice quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You got votes for both! I think I like the non sashing one the best, but the sashing really brings out the greens....

scarlett said...

Wonderful! No sashing is my vote. It has more movement and secondary designs. Sashing stops that.

Marj said...

I like it better without the sashing. Guess you have some ripping to do.....